South Tyneside Sexual Health Service are:
- Operating a telephone consultation appointment system for all ages Monday to Friday 08.45- 12:15
- Dedicated telephone consultation appointment line open for Young People ( Under 19’s) every Wednesday 15:00 -17:00
- Dedicated /protected appointment slots for Young People every Thursday 15:00 – 17:00
- Repeat/no issue contraception clinic- operating alongside integrated face to face appointments Mon – Friday 17:00 – 20:00
To request a sexual health telephone consultation:
- Please advise service users to call the sexual health appointments line on 0191 4028191 between the hours of 08.45 and 12:15.
- Please advise young people under 19: If unable to contact sexual health services during morning telephone slots, further telephone appointment capacity has been added to support young people in education & home learning between the hours of 15:00 -17:00 every Wednesday afternoon.
- Telephone consultation with South Tyneside Sexual Health will discuss if the patient has symptoms that require urgent care, to request a sexual health test or to book contraception appointments including implants.
- As part of the telephone consultation, patients will be asked to provide their name, address, DOB & telephone number and will receive a call back from the nursing team, usually the same day.
- During each telephone consultation the nursing team will either arrange an appointment for patient to attend clinic, signpost the patient to the online home testing facility, other services, or provide advice on how to self-manage their condition.
The Sexual Health Service continues to offer digital remote services
We are aware of the inequalities around clinic access and have since have launched an online testing platform to increase access to STI testing during these unprecedented times. The outbreak of COVID-19 and social distancing guidance have impacted the way many health services operate in regard to patient consultations to minimizing the number of patients on site. South Tyneside Sexual Health strive to ensure patients have equal availability & continuous access to STI testing & contraceptive methods through this difficult time.
The Service recognises and are responsive to the changing need of the population and in light of COVID-19, have launched online ordering / testing platforms for South Tyneside residents. The online home testing kit offers screening for infections such as HIV, Syphilis, Chlamydia & Gonorrhoea and is available to order 24 hours a day from the South Tyneside Sexual Health website.
- The online test offer is a quick way to test, very discreet and is completely confidential, delivered direct to the specified address when completing the online demographic form.
- The home testing kits are delivered in plain packaged envelopes by Royal Mail meaning NHS will not appear on the outside of the envelope.
- Kits are sent by standard post meaning that no signature is required and will fit through a standard letter box.
- The home test involves providing a blood sample (if a person chooses to be tested for HIV & Syphilis) or a urine or swab sample for Chlamydia & Gonorrhoea testing.
- Home testing kits are delivered complete with instruction’s, a freepost return envelope and are posted back to us by standard Royal Mail
- This online test offer is available for both male and females over the age of 16+
Please visit their Sexual Health website to order https://www.southtynesidesexualhealth.nhs.uk
To order condom kits direct: Please visit https://www.stsft.nhs.uk/services/sexual-health-services/request-condom-pack
For advice and information enquiries, please advise contact Sexual Health main reception on 0191 4028168
Useful information and links:
- Sexual Health resource book
- your guide to contraception
- Cervical Screening
- NHS Choices
- NHS Choices Sexual Health
- NHS Choices – Contraception Guide
- NHS Choices Sexually transmitted infections (STIs)
- NHSGO.uk/ – (Confidential Health Advice and Information Service for 16-25 year olds)
- BPAS (British Pregnancy Advisory Service)
- FPA The Sexual Health Charity
- Wellbeing info.org
- Contraception Choices
- World Contraception Day
- YOUNGMINDS.org.uk – (Resource for Professionals, Parents/Carers and Young People)
- Go North East – Getting around the North East is simple with us